The city of Imus was formerly part of the Cavite el Viej0 (now Kawit), and was under the parish church of the Jesuits during the administration of the Archdiocese of Manila Archbishop Miguel Garcia Serrano in 1618-1629. After that, the Augustinian Recollects established a parish church in Imus, now known as Bayang Luma. That was a great help for the people living in Imus because for century and a half, they endured the long walk of 4.5 kilometers just to attend religious services and other transactions to the nearest city proper.
Imus was also the place for the unfurling of the Philippine Flag during the Battle of Alapan on May 28, 1898 against the Spanish colonizers. That battle was a major victory for the Philippines under the command of General Emilio Aguinaldo during the Philippine Revolution which eventually lead to the declaration of Philippine Independence from Spain on June 12, 1898.
Population/ Language/ Area
The city has a total population of 301,624 as of 2010.
Imus City covers a total land area of 6,470 ha (16,000 acres) or 64.70 km2 (24.98 sq mi), approximately 6.8% of the total land area of the province of Cavite, which is 1,427.06 square kilometers (550.99 sq mi).The almost rectangular inland city of Cavite is bounded by the municipalities of Kawit and Noveleta to the north, and General Trias to the west; by the cities of Bacoor to the east and Dasmariñas to the south.
The city is located near the Metropolitan Manila area, just 21 kilometers (13 mi) south of Manila. With the continuous expansion of Metro Manila, this local government unit is now included in the Greater Manila area, which reaches Lipa City in its southernmost part.
Products and Services
With a comfortable 18 km distance from Metro Manila, Imus serves as a favorable site for industrial establishments such as the 200-hectare (490-acre) Imus Informal Industrial Estate and Anabu Hills Industrial Estate. Corporations that are 100% Filipino-owned such as Annie’s Candy Manufacturing, Inc., CKL Industries and Liwayway Mktg. Corp. Factories of partly Filipino-owned corporations such as Champan Garment Corp., Hayag Motorworks & Machine Shop and San Miguel-Yamamura Asia Corp. and foreign-owned corporations such as EDS MFG, Inc., which produces automotive wiring harness and Frontline Garments Corp., can be found in Imus. Imus is also the home of the Anabu Handmade Paper Products, a producer of handmade paper and paper products.
Investors will find an atmosphere conducive to business and a climate of optimism and buoyancy in Imus. Eighteen major industrial establishments with a total capitalization of 1.311 billion pesos have established their base at the Imus Informal Industrial Estate providing local employment to an estimated 13,478 people as of December 1998. Located just along the stretch of the General Emilio Aguinaldo Highway, the 200-hectare informal industrial estate houses manufacturing companies owned by foreign and Filipino investors. Imus has ventured to the export of automotive wire harness and electrical components, acrylic sheets and lighting fixtures, processed foods, shellcraft, bamboo, rattan and woodcraft, furniture, garments and novelty items to other countries. The implementation of the strategic Daang Hari Road will further augment the development of Imus. Several subdivisions and mass housing projects and the establishment of factories and small-scale industries in many of its barangays haveresulted in a movement of population into the city.
- Imus Historical Museum – there are moving tableus inside the museum which relive historical scenes with realistic life-sized figures in the recreated settings.
- Imus Cathedral – made up of stones and bricks, this church was built under Fr. Nicolas Becerra, OAR, who served from 1821 to 1840.