“The City of Gentle People”
In 1890, the island-province of Negros was divided into two politico-military provinces, Occidental and Oriental. As earlier constituted, in 1898, Dumaguete was included in Negros Oriental. After the Philippine-American War, on May 1, 1901, a civil government was established by the Americans in the Province of Negros Oriental, including Dumaguete with the first city-mayor Meliton Larena Y Aureola.
When World War II broke out, the city was occupied by the Japanese Imperial Forces on May 26, 1942. It was liberated on April 26, 1945 by the combined forces of the United States, Filipino Soldiers and the recognized guerrillas.
The establishment of the local military general headquarters and camp base of the Philippine Commonwealth Army from 1942 to 1946 and the Philippine Constabulary 7th Infantry Regiment from 1944 to 1946 was stationed and located in Dumaguete during World War II.
Three years later on June 15, 1948, Republic Act No. 327, created the City of Dumaguete. Later, on June 21, 1969, Republic Act No. 5797 was enacted, otherwise known as the Revised Charter of Dumaguete City.
Population/ Language/ Area
As of 2010, Dumaguete City had a total population of 120,883. These people speaks Cebuano as their native language.
The City has a land area of 3,362 hectares (8,310 acres),situated on the plains of the southeastern coast of Negros Island near the mouth of the Banica River. Of the province’s 19 municipalities and 6 cities, Dumaguete is the smallest in terms of land area. It is bounded on the north by the Municipality of Sibulan; on the south by the Municipality of Bacong; and on the west by the Municipality of Valencia. As a coastal city, it is bounded on the east by the Bohol Sea and the Tañon Strait, serving as a natural border to the neighboring provinces of Cebu, Bohol, and Siquijor.
- Rizal Boulevard – was named after the Philippines National Hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal. This is one of the most beautiful and most captivating landmarks in the city.
- Dumaguete Belfry – this was built around 1811 to warn the locals about the coming attacks of the pirates. The belfry stands proud amidst the modern buildings surrounding it.
- Apo Island Marine Sanctuary – is considered to be one of the best dive spot in the world as it has the two-thirds of the world’s known coral species. Because of the vastness of its marine resources, Apo island has been protected as a fish sanctuary since 1982.