Sagay City was formerly known as Arguellas. It was founded by Teniente Francisco Rodriguez and Basilio Cordova on 1860 in the mouth of the Bulanon River. Later, by the order of the Spanish governor, the town was transferred to Pueblo de Magallanes (now known as Old Sagay) to honor Fernando Magallanes.
It was in 1906 that the name of the town was changed into Sagay. It was taken from the semi-spherical shell called “sigay”, which can be found in the area. At this period of Sagay’s history, land trasportation began to supplant sea travel but the seaside community continued to flourish. The first public schools conducted in English were established and Mr. Cornelio Pascual Sr. was assigned as the first English teacher in Vito. More American missionaries were also sent to tutor more Filipino English teachers.
Population/ Language/ Area
As of 2010, Sagay City recorded a population of 140,740, all living in a land area of 330.34 km2 (127.54 sq mi). Sagay City is located along the northeastern coast of Negros Island. It is bounded on the north by the Visayan Sea, on the east by Escalante City and the town of Toboso, on the south by the town of Calatrava, and on the west by the cities of Cadiz and Silay.
- Sagay Marine Reserve – this is a protected marine reserve established in 1999 to protect marine life in Carbin and Maca reefs. Sagay is the largest marine reserve in the Philippines, covering an area of 32,000 hectares.
- Himoga-an River Cruise – this is a community-based tourism project patterned after the Bohol River Cruise. This cruise will take up to two hours. These boat also serves as as floating restaurant.
Festivals and Celebrations
- Sinigayan Festival – this festival is held every 3rd week of March to honor their patron saint Joseph. Sinigayan concocted from the spherical shell “sigay” which abounds many islets and shores of the city.